Offline cryptocurrency wallets definitely deserve special attention since they’re capable of working without access to the Internet after installation on a local device. Such programs are also known as desktop wallets. In fact, they turn out to be a free analogue of hardware wallets. A great number of crypto enthusiasts stick with this type of cryptocurrency wallet because they find them extremely safe, especially in contrast with online wallets.
Such software programs can be divided into two major groups:
- Full-fledged wallets: These are one of the first wallets that download the entire blockchain history on the user’s computer;
- Light: These desktop programs are able to work without downloading the whole blockchain. Instead, they draw information on it from trusted sites.
When creating such a crypto wallet, a configuration file with a private key will be uploaded to the computer that will be accessed by the program to confirm access and transactions. The main disadvantage of such storage is the probability of infection of the PC with viruses capable of transmitting information from it to hackers. If you make up your mind to use such software for storage, you should take care to update your anti-virus system.
Before you start using ETC web wallet, take some time to have a look at the most popular cryptocurrency wallets
- Exodus: It happens to be a multicurrency wallet for cold key storage on a personal computer. It features a bright and user-friendly interface. However, it has one downside that some users might find substantial – it offers high commissions;
- Electrum: This local cryptocurrency wallet will be useful for those who need increased security. It’s because it works without problems via TOR networks. In addition to this, it’s good for storing anonymous currency Verge;
- MyEtherWallet: That’s an official wallet. It enables you to store the only one crypto asset. As follows from its name, it’s Ethereum;
- Bitcoin Core: It appears to be the oldest wallet for Bitcoin. It has nearly an official status.
- NEO GUI: As its name suggests, it’s one of the official wallets for cryptocurrency Neo.